Monday, December 5, 2011

On love at first sight (10/11/11)

So, my first OB appointment didn’t go quite as planned. I got off work, grabbed my referral and found the office (eventually). When I showed up, they could not find my appointment….great. They handed me a stack of paperwork so I figured they were trying to get me seen at least. About an hour after my appointment was supposed to be, I do finally get called. Fast forward a tiny bit, I got to meet with the OB (and her shadow med student) and we did the usual exam, Pap, Q&A and I’m pretty comfortable with her. She’s no nonsense, very nice, but very ‘this-is-how-it-is’. Told me to enjoy sleep now because 3rd trimester and post partum, forget about it. She told me to keep running, but keep HR below 150 (eek) and that everything seemed good so far. Did blood work afterwards which is never he most pleasant experience, but this tech didn’t seem to be having the best day, so I had a bit of a sore stick point afterwards. All-in-all it was a pretty good first appointment and I’m excited for how it will go after this.
The best part by far was when I did finally get called in, which is why I skipped it until now. Had to do the urine test first and then sat in a funny chair-like thing with stirrups. I knew it was a possibility from what the Tricare lady had said, but didn’t know they’d do it for sure…we did an ultrasound…a different route than normal, but I guess that’s typical for so early on. They put me at almost the exact date from when I thought so everything seems great. Heart beat was strong and fast and my heart melted at the sound. I literally was tearing up, mesmerized by the screen in front of me showing a black and white image of my insides. There was my baby, a two-segmented blobby thing, but beautiful and the proof of life I needed after having such a great experience so far which has left me not really feeling pregnant. She got an angle that showed the profile (sort of). This was really to see the heart beat and there was just enough movement to make out what I was looking at. Another angle showed arm and leg buds…AMAZING. I was so flooded with awe and excitement and wishing Chris was there or that I had asked to get video on my phone of it. I did get two shots of the US which I promptly took pictures of and emailed to Chris and now sit on my refrigerator. My first appointment and I got to me my little one for the first time…needless to say, I was all smiles for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear (read?) your thoughts!